Saturday, September 22, 2007

Superfluous

A friend on Facebook recently used this superlatives app to nominate me most likely to use the word "superfluous" correctly.



I hate to tell everyone, but I am not the dictionary that many seem to think I am. I had to look it up myself; my knowledge of words is often dependent on its context. I'm very good at knowing what a word means by the context its used in.

su·per·flu·ous [soo-pur-floo-uhs] –adjective

1. being more than is sufficient or required; excessive.
2. unnecessary or needless.
3. Obsolete. possessing or spending more than enough or necessary; extravagant.

[Middle English, from Old French superflueux, from Latin superfluus, from superfluere, to overflow : super-, super- + fluere, to flow; see bhleu- in Indo-European roots.]

No comments:

Blog Archive